Labs, workshops, clinics
Work in laboratories, workshops and clinics is considered high-risk work. Students are considered as employees when they carry out work as a part of their practical training in labs, workshops and clinics, where the work may entail a risk to life and health.
You are responsible for your own safety and for ensuring that your work does not expose others to danger. You should not work alone after hours or on weekends.
Before commencing the work, you must
- familiarise yourself with potential risk factors
- perform a risk assessment of new work operations
- undergo necessary training
- familiarise yourself with relevant job instructions
- consider the need for protective safety measures
Important safety measures:
- Special ventilation, for example a fume cabinet
- Respiratory protection
- Hearing protection
- Safety goggles
Remember to report any undesirable incidents